Saturday, February 11, 2006

129. Miscellaneous on Miscellany (or should that be the other way around?) II



.
It is 22 F / -6 C here today. (Kaynahora) I love it! I took Max on a long walk to enjoy the heat wave. And no wind!!! They had all sorts of trouble with the heat in Anchorage with ice breaking up and melting, making conditions hazardous and they closed the schools there for a day.
.
Since this is a dry town, would I offend people if I wore a t-shirt with the words to “Aleph-null bottles of beer on the wall”? (The shirt only has one verse. What they really ought to do is put a verse on the front and say “continued on the back” while the back has a verse followed by “continued on the front”.)
.
I have been getting a lot of catalogues. I guess since I ordered some things on line they sold my address to some people and I have been getting a bunch. It is amazing what is out there.
*Here is something that hooks up to the TV set so a group can play poker. Every player has a hand-held doohickey that shows them their cards. On the TV screen you can see what cards are on the table. It is $69.99 + S&H. (A deck of cards is $2 at Wal-Mart.)
*Now here is something useful. It is a muffin pan. The cups for the muffins are very shallow. This way you can make muffins that are almost all top since that is the best part.
*Super-Scrabble! The board is 21x21 instead of 15x15 and has 200 tiles instead of 100. Actually, I think I will order a set.
.
Dogs are great, aren’t they? You can act as silly with them as you want, and they’ll just look at you like you are the greatest. I think Max needs a CPAP.
.
This school district has membership in something called “United Streaming”. It is like an online video library or teachers. You type in a word or phrase and it sees what videos it finds. You can download them to show to your classes. There are a LOT to choose from. I’ve found some great ones for my science classes while we did astronomy. (BTW, if you sign up, tell them I want commission!)
.
The mail to and from Deering is AWFUL!!! I upgraded my Netflix subscription to five movies at a time because the movies you have out include the ones in the mail either way. At the moment I have one DVD on me. The other 4 they say I have are all movies I mailed back between 6 days and 3 weeks ago that they still have not received. (I just reported one lost in transit after a month.) The Department of Education in Juneau mailed me some time-critical paperwork a 8 days ago and I have not yet received it. A few weeks ago I paid $15 to mail something two-day express mail to my daughter in Portland (There is no overnight mail from here) and it took a week.
.
How many worker-hours did Microsoft put into making that little animated paperclip dance?
.
So long for now. Gut Vacht.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?