Tuesday, January 31, 2006

124. Enjoying HAM

.
Greetings from the major city of Kotzebue, population ~3,300. I came here so I could get fingerprinted, so the Alaska's Board of Ed can check into my past of molesting kids and other such activities.
.
I am staying with a HAM radio operator here. He is teaching me some stuff. We are discussing the possibility of my setting up a node IRLP (internet relay linking project) node in Deering. I am also learning about some of the stuff on the radio. Right now we are on the "Weather and Traffic Net", where everyone in Alaska gets on and shares the local weather. (We seem to be the coldest.) I went on the "Insomniac's Net" last night at 10 pm. (Remember, that is 11 pm, midnight, 1 am, 2 am in the contigous 48. I'm not sure what time it is in England where one guy was.) The net-control asks trivia questions, and everyone takes turns going on and giving their answers. This goes on 365.25 days a year, with a different net-control each day of the week.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?